Mark Stanton of Clinton, Mississippi sent us his rendition of Atomic Buffalo Turds.
“They were great,” he said.
Thanks, Mark, for sending us your pic!
If you have a favorite grilled item you want highlighted on Grillax, give us a shout and share with us.
Atomic Buffalo Turds — Clinton, Mississippi
The perfect tailgate appetizer from Mississippi’s Mark Stanton.
- 6-8 jalapeños (find the biggest ones you can from your local grocery store)
- 2 (8 oz) containers of cream cheese ( I use onion and chives)
- 1 package of “Lil Smokies” ( I prefer the all beef ones)
- 3-4 cups shredded sharp cheese
- 1 package of bacon (I prefer the thick cut)
- Your favorite BBQ rub
- Cut the jalapeños in half and scoop the seeds and inner guts out.
- Now, in this order, fill with cream cheese, sprinkle with rub, press some shredded cheese down, press a Lil Smokey into it then wrap with ½ a piece of bacon and stick a toothpick through to secure it all.
- Get your kettle going and set up for an indirect cook. Try to keep the temp down if you can and slow smoke them with a chunk of applewood or whatever smoke-wood you favor for about 1.5 hours.
- These will be piping hot when you pull them off because of the cream cheese in the middle, so let them cool for 5-10 min.