Burgers can be so boring. They’re everywhere; almost every fast food chain, sit-down restaurants, and burning on your neighbor’s grill. This year, we’d like to spice things up a bit and give you an alternative to the boring burger that is both tastier AND healthier.
Enter Chili Lime Chicken Burgers.
These burgers use ground chicken instead of the typical beef, but don’t let that freak you out. The meat will have your smoky, grill flavor and actually packs quite a punch when it soaks up all the lime juice added in this recipe.
Start with your ground chicken, about a pound, in a large mixing bowl. Add chopped red onions, bell pepper and garlic to a pan with a little olive oil, let them sizzle for a few minutes, then add to the meat after they’ve cooled. Then pour in about ¼ cup lime juice, fresh is always better. For a sweeter juice, use key limes.
Season the meat to your liking with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Throw in some chopped green onions. Mix together with your hands. Divide the meat into four patties. Grill ‘em over medium heat for about six minutes per side.
Because these are already so good for you, we prefer putting them on a lettuce bun. Simply take two pieces of clean butter lettuce and sandwich your burger between them. Feel free to add your favorite condiments, but we think a fresh guacamole goes perfect with the spicy, sweet chicken burger.
Chili Lime Chicken Burgers
Chili Lime Chicken Burgers use ground chicken instead of the typical beef and actually packs quite a punch when it soaks up all the lime juice added in this recipe.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2-3 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Butter lettuce leaves
- Guacamole for topping (optional)
- Place ground chicken into large mixing bowl.
- Add red onions, bell pepper and garlic to a pan with olive oil. Saute until soft, about 7 minutes. When cooled, add to chicken.
- Pour in lime juice.
- Add green onions.
- Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to your liking.
- Mix with hands until combined.
- Form into 4 patties.
- Grill over medium heat for about 6 minutes per side. Internal temperature should reach 175 degrees.
- Place between two lettuce leaves, top with guacamole, fresh pico de gallo, or salsa.
Related articles across the web
Originally posted 2014-06-30 12:24:50.