Admit it: No one really likes those cold, soggy sandwiches you grab out of the cooler, with mystery meat jammed between two pieces of white bread. Today, we’re going to give you a hot, spicy, delicious alternative to your cold sandwich woes with Grilled Sausage and Pepper Ciabatta sandwich made with the FireDisc cooker.
First, here’s what you’ll need (this makes two servings):
Spicy Grilled Sausage and Pepper Ciabatta Sandwiches
The FireDisc makes grilling sausages and veggies easy.
- 2 fresh ciabatta buns, split
- 3 links hot Italian sausage, uncooked, in casing
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tbs crushed red pepper
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1 tbs black pepper
- Spicy Dijon Mayo Spread (mix ½ cup mayo, 2-3 tbs Dijon, dash of salt, black pepper, red pepper and lemon juice until combined)
- Place the olive oil into your FireDisc that’s been heated to medium-high.
- Add sliced veggies, salt, black pepper and red pepper.
- Let your veggies sizzle for several minutes, until the onions become opaque. Move them up the sides of your FireDisc to make room in the middle for sausage.
- Add whole sausage links to center of hot FireDisc. Add more oil only if needed.
- Sear sausage until brown on all sides.
- Remove sausage and slice down center, creating a butterflied link. Place back into FireDisc until cooked all the way through.
- Take 1.5 sausage links and place onto a ciabatta bun that has been slathered with the Spicy Dijon Mayo Spread. Top with a heap of peppers and onions. Add top bun and serve hot.
You’ll be amazed at how simple this is, and your guests will be thankful for the alternative to traditional picnic food.
If you’d like to lighten things up a bit, and skip some of the carbs and calories, simply reduce your oil usage to two tablespoons, use turkey sausage, and serve open-faced, eliminating half the bun.
Originally posted 2014-05-28 20:26:10.