We promise, if you use this rub at your next grill session, good things are going to happen.
Grillax Coffee Rub
- 1/4 cup finely ground espresso
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon chipotle powder
- Preheat grill to high heat, with two-zone setup.
- Brush each side of the steak with olive oil and season each side liberally with sea salt and coarse ground pepper.
- Rub two tablespoons of coffee rub into one side of each steak. Grill the steaks, rub side down, about three minutes.
- Flip the steak, grill for two minutes more and move to cool side of grill to reach medium-rare temperature (135 degrees), about six to ten minutes.
- Move to cutting board and slice against the grain one-half inch or less.
- Remove the membrane from the back of the racks, and trim the fat and remaining silver skin.
- Rub each rack liberally with coffee rub.
- Wrap the racks in cellophane and place in refrigerator 8-10 hours.
- Remove the racks while heating bbq smoker to 225 degrees.
- Add a few large pieces of pecan wood once the unit hits temperature.
- Place the racks in the smoker, bone-side down, and smoke until the ribs bend a bit when lifted from one end and the meat is receding down the bone.
- Remove from the bbq smoker, slice into doubles and serve immediately.
Originally posted 2017-08-31 10:43:09.